Our Little green building on 9848 Main Street Canning since 1885 has housed many businesses and owners. In 1885 it was owned by James G. Hennigar, who was a Methodist minister and was a watch maker. From 1914 to 1945 Bess M. Hennigar ran it as a hat shop. From 1945 to 1958 it was operated as a shoe repair shop by Alden and Gerald Hudson. 1958 to 1972 Wallace and Melbourne Lightfoot ran it as a merchant and meat cutting business. 1972 to 1974 it was a plumbing store run by Karnan G. Ells then in 1974 to 1982 R. Allan Bickerton ran it as an insurance office. The last owners before we bought it in 2014 was Keith Roberson and it was known as the Light Lunch.
When Current owners Tim and Crystal Maxner purchased the building it had sat empty for 15 years. They took on the job of a massive renovation and the building was completely taken down to the studs and redesigned from the inside out. It has a nice cozy atmosphere two levels of seating and a beautiful deck on the second level overlooking the Habitant river. The name is part of Crystal’s name and eldest daughter Brittany. “Brasserie” in French means Brewery. Beer would be brewed on the premises rather then brought into the establishment. It also indicates that it is a restaurant with a relaxed setting, which serves single dishes and other meals.
The business is located at 9848 Main Street Canning, Nova Scotia. Crystany's is a business that is comprised of different interests, skills and the needs of the community
We live in an area surrounded by fields that grow amazing products so of course we buy them during our growing season! We also carry local wine, beer, and spirits. Nova Scotia has such a diverse growing climate that we are lucky enough to be able to purchase local products in so many different forms!